How we hack publishers’ programmatic income and increase earnings by 50%
In the following article, we’ll share a secret tip with which we are able to optimize Google AdSense earnings. AdSense (or ADX) is by far the top advertisement source for Publishers. If your source of programmatic income is Google but you still want to experiment and include other revenue channels, our tips will be very helpful to you. Many website owners out there monetize exclusively with Google AdSense/ADX and have never tried another setup. They are likely leaving money on the table.
"I've been a huge fan of Google AdSense for years. The income I am making from them was enough for me to quit my job 7 years ago. I will always be thankful to Google for that. However, as ad networks have become more sophisticated over the years, I've discovered that sometimes there are better ways to monetize than just straight Google AdSense."
THE ANNOYING EMAILS
If you own a website with a lot of traffic, you surely receive tons of email invitations from advertising platforms, trying to establish a “strategic partnership’. You probably know that there are two types of programmatic companies which may try to attract you as a publisher and promise you more income:
- Ad Networks (other than AdSense);
- Supply Side Platforms or the so called SSPs.
Let’s start with number one – Ad Networks. There are some ad networks which good alternatives to Google AdSense, depending on the amount of traffic your site is receiving and the geographic origin of it. Before you start with a conversation with a new advertising partner, you should ask them two simple questions:
- Are you a direct ad network? Do you have direct advertisers or just resell the inventory of other platforms? Direct advertisers are good. It means more ad variety, higher CTRs and profit margins.
- Are you connected to the open RTB or not? If the ad platform is connected to the open RTB it is more an SSP provider than a network. What about the SSPs? One of the myths of programmatic revenue is that working with SSP platforms can increase your income. In fact, SSPs are only rearranging your placements or setting price floors for them.
SSPs are serving 3rd party ads, which you cannot control. This alternative RTB income source can lower the completion of your AdSense ads and even lower your income.
SHOULD I USE WATERFALL?
A popular ad optimization strategy is building a waterfall with two or more ad networks. Those additional networks should receive the impressions only if Google does not buy them. There are many reasons why this kind of optimization will not work properly, but the most obvious one is that all the impressions that Google does not buy are completely worthless. The second and third network after Google cannot monetize those impressions and this will result in very low CPM levels, in most cases 1/10 of the average Google CPM.
If you try to do the opposite - to place the Ad Networks before Google and crank up the price floors, think again because it is not a winning strategy either. Rarely the Ad Networks can buy many impressions with this high CPM - that is why their coverage drops drastically and in the end they do not add to the final revenue because with the price floor you have excluded most of the ads.
TELL ME MORE ABOUT GOOGLE ADX
DoubleClick AdX is Google’s ad product for power users. AdX is usually reserved for big publishers with in-house expertise. It gives you more control, puts more focus on CPM bids and overall helps increase your ad revenue. One of the advantages of AdX is that you can set minimum prices for your inventory. Do that badly and it can undermine your earnings and leave you with unfilled impressions. Do it well and it stops your valuable ad space from being sold below its value.
THE SECRET TIP THAT WORKS – HOW TO FILTER CHEAP GOOGLE ADS BY USING GOOGLE AD MANAGER
By filtering cheap Google ads, you can free up a part of your inventory and increase the overall income by giving these impressions to other networks. When you increase the competition on your inventory by setting a price floor, it raises the CPM and gets the maximum from the advertisers’ bids. Still, this cannot increase the revenue for the impressions that Google clients do not bid high enough or do not bid at all. Optimizing for greater revenue leaves a significant part of your inventory free. And this is what you need a second ad network for!
There are two options to do this without threatening the Google income:
- Install a Header Bidding, using the pre-bid technology. - This limits you to choose between a couple of major programmatic players beside Google: Rubicon, Appnexus, etc. Depending on the GEO location or the cookie information of your users, those networks can either add some value or be completely helpless against Google bids.
- Simultaneous bidding with a second network using the DFP ad server features. - This approach relies on the second network’s historical eCPM and competes its average CPM against Google in real time. The second network does not have to be part of the pre-bid technology, it can be any local network with its own advertisers like EasyPlatform. Our tags can be easily plugged into DFP by creating a separate Price Priority Line Item with a key value passback option. This way, you can compete your Google ads with our ads and automatically sell the impression to us if there is no Google advertiser ready to buy it for more than the price we give you. As a result – you increase drastically the Google CPM, plus you fill all passback impressions with those from our network. The overall income will amaze you, it will be at least 50% higher than the current one!
DO I NEED GOOGLE AD MANAGER / DFP TO MAKE THIS WORK?
Almost every Publisher has an advanced ad serving solution, but we are constantly amazed that most of them still do not use the best (and free!) platform on the market - Google Ad Manager. This is maybe the best way to manage and optimize your inventory and we have tested it out with hundreds of publishers.
If you do not have the DFP installed, you can test our network with an additional ad placement on your website. Adding another ad spot, different than Google, you can only increase the overall revenue by diversifying the ads and the income.
USING EASYPLATFORM ON YOUR WEBSITE
The process of getting set up on EasyPlatform is not complicated at all. You can drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org if you want us to setup an EasyPlatform tag for you or sign up now by yourself and start generating more money out of your traffic. We will send you a step-by-step guide for the implementation if you are already experienced with the DFP. But if you are not, don't worry - you may give our team access to your Google Ad Manager and we will handle the technical roll-out on your behalf. We can optimize the price floors together, put our ads up and running and start making money. After that, it's pretty much hands free. There is no commitment or tie in and no upfront charge.
Ready to move to the next level with us? We are here to help you!
Sign up nowand join our ad platform for free.